The Church of Saint Jude, Blackburn
The church of Saint Thomas with Saint Jude stands on Accrington Road on the north east side of the Lancashire town of Blackburn. The church has a detached tower with a light ring of eight bells, rung from the ground floor, installed in 2015.
The original church of Saint Jude was consecrated in 1914, but was demolished in the 1990s as the congregation dwindled. Today only the original tower survives. The church building was replaced by a combined church and community centre which stands there today.
A set of eight bells cast by Gillet and Johnston were installed as a chime in 1932 and were capable of playing 72 hymn tunes. Four of the original bells have been retained as the 5, 6, 7 and 8 of the current ring. The original front four bells have gone to the Malta Maritime Museum.
About The Bells
Dedication: Saint Thomas with Saint Jude
Bells: 8 bells. Tenor 6-0-24 (316 kg) in D flat
Association: Lancashire Association / Blackburn Branch
Practice Night: Wednesday 7.30pm to 9pm
Sunday Ringing: Second Sunday of the month from 11.15am to 12.00pm
Address: Junction of Didsbury Street and Accrington Road, Blackburn. BB1 2AB
Visiting The Tower
The church welcomes visitors, quarter peals and peals being rung on the bells. There is a flat fee for quarter peals of £2 a rope (score or not) and for a peal attempt £5 a rope (score or not).
How To Find The Church
The Church is located on the corner of Didsbury Street and Accrington Road. There is abundant free parking in the area. Parking in Didsbury Street is popular.
Find Saint Jude’s on Google Maps
More About The Bells
The current bells were cast by John Taylor and Co of Loughborough and were installed in 2015.