Standing adjacent to the well-known Leyland Cross at the west end of Church Road, is the drinking fountain. It was erected in 1887 in commemoration of the jubilee of Queen Victoria.
Now situated at Churchtown, Southport, Mersyside this 18 century commemorative obelisk was formerly at Worden Hall, Leyland. Following the fire at Worden Hall the obelisk was sold around 1948 to Colonel Roger Fleetwood Hesketh of Meols Hall and placed here in 1950. It is made from dressed gritstone blocks, of square section. The pedestal is c. 2m high, with a chamfered base, one broad band and a cavetto-moulded cornice with a worn inscription running round the east, north and west sides: Rebuilt in Commemoration of the Glorious illegible.
At the north end of Lune Street just south of the modern ring road is this striking memorial. It is dedicated by the trades union of Preston to the memory of all workers worldwide who are killed, injured, suffer ill health or detriment as a consequence of work. Remember the dead, fight for the living.
In Lune Street, Preston, four workers were shot and killed by the military during the general strike of 1842. Several thousand Preston workers were demonstrating against wage cuts , and for the ‘charter’ of democratic rights.Bronze tablet on memorial.
Remember, Remember, People of proud Preston that progress towards justice and democracy had not been achieved without great sacrifice.
Remember, Remember, People of proud Preston defend vigorously the rights given to you. Strive to enhance the rights of those who follow.Second bronze tablet on memorial.