A Walk Along Chapel Brow

Although a very short road, Chapel Brow is full of history with the land behind the buildings on the west side being the former location of the Leyland Gas Works. Our walk starts at the southwest end of Chapel Brow, once known as gasworks corner, heading northeast to the junction with Golden Hill Lane, Golden Hill, and Station Brow and the NatWest bank.

The Lancashire Electric Power Company Sub-station.

The Electricity sub-station was built in 1925 by the Lancashire Electric Power Company (LEP). The LEP was formed under the provisions of the Lancashire Electric Power act of 1900 and supplied local towns with electricity until the late 1940s. The building next door, very much in keeping, was erected in 2011.

The Electricity sub-station was built in 1925 by the Lancashire Electric Power Company (LEP). The LEP was formed under the provisions of the Lancashire Electric Power act of 1900 and supplied local towns with electricity until the late 1940s. The building next door, very much in keeping, was erected in 2011.

The Leyland and Farrington Co-op building.

As can be seen easily from the date stone above the east windows, this very splendid brick-built building was erected in 1903. It was used as both a Co-op shop and as the head office for the Leyland and Farrington Co-op. Today, it is well known by many as Rimmers Music store and their music school.

As can be seen easily from the date stone, this splendid brick-built building was erected in 1903 and served as both a Co-op shop and as head office. Today, it is well known as Rimmers Music store and music school.

The NatWest Bank

The NatWest bank more strictly stands on the north side of Golden Hill Lane opposite the junction with Chapel Brow. However, I include it here as it is the site of the former Wesleyan Chapel from which Chapel Brow is named. The red brick with white stone section of the building dates to 1927 while to lower ‘extension’ which includes the main door, was built in 1974.

The modern NatWest bank stands on the site of the eponymous Wesleyan Chapel. This ‘modern’ building dates to 1927, although the lower section built on the plot west of the bank was constructed in 1974.

1 thought on “A Walk Along Chapel Brow

  1. Pingback: A Walk Along Golden Hill Lane | Ray's Website and Blog

Comments are closed.