The Church of Saint John, Farnworth and Kearsley
There are 8 bells hung in the tower at Saint John’s cast by John Taylor and Co of Loughborough and installed in 1954.
The Church was built in 1826 as a Waterloo church, funded on the wave of national triumph following the defeat of Napoleon at Waterloo, and there has been many modifications and extensions made over the years. The most recent was in 1998 and included roofing, decorating, windows and rewiring. During 2008 the church was used as a location for All The Small Things.
Peals are rung on the bells monthly by members of the Lancashire Association.
About The Bells
Dedication: Saint John The Evangelist
Bells: 8 bells. Tenor 12-1-8 (626 kg) in G
Association: Lancashire Association / Bolton Branch
Practice Night: Currently no practice
Sunday Ringing: Currently no regular Sunday ringing
Address: Church Street, Farnworth, Bolton. BL4 8DA
Visiting The Church
Saint John’s’ church is at the bottom of Church Street in Farnworth. Although it is possible to park in Church Street, it is quite narrow and difficult to turn round, most regular visiting ringers park in Albert Street which is off Church Road. Albert Street is very close to the side entrance in Church Road and has plenty of parking on either side of the road. The Church is also very close to Farnworth railway station.
Find Saint John’s on Google Maps